2014 was the most active year as far as cyber criminals are concerned.
The victims were some of the world's largest banks, retailers, online businesses, entertainment companies, telecom giants, insurance companies, hospitals, oil companies & aerospace companies.
And governments, municipalities, tax departments, police departments and super-secret agencies.
And countless cars, CCTV cameras & bitcoin wallets.
And the list goes on...
The massive hacks and cyber-attacks of 2014 have led to a huge increase in awareness about the impact of cyber crime.
Companies, law enforcement and individuals have begun to realise the urgent need for expertise in cyber crime investigation, computer forensics, cyber law and cyber security.
In such an environment it's not too difficult to build a super-awesome career in cyber crime control if you follow these 7 steps:
1. Create awesome content
- Write great articles and submit them to popular websites, blogs, magazines and journals.
- Develop interesting case studies and pose these challenges on public forums.
- Also work on cutting edge research papers concerning latest advancements in cyber crime control.
- Answer questions and raise discussions on platforms such as Quora, LinkedIn, Twitter etc.
2. Network like a champ
Networking is about making connections and building enduring, mutually beneficial relationships. Ultimately, it's not just what you know, it's also who you know that matters.
- Join relevant industry organizations.
- Learn to use Linkedin like a pro.
3. Attend conferences
Conferences are a great platform for learning from the gurus, information sharing and networking.
It's even better if you get a chance to speak at good conferences.
4. Help the local police
Volunteer with the local police and make sure you do a great job helping them crack cases and spreading awareness.
They may not give you any money, but it will be great for your branding and also open up possible avenues to work full-time with law enforcement agencies all over the country.
5. Spread awareness in schools and colleges
Volunteer to give cyber crime and security awareness lectures in schools and colleges. It will do a world of good for your reputation as an expert in the field.
6. Go social
- Build and maintain an awesome profile on popular social media platforms like Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Maintain a blog and regularly post relevant news and articles.
- Maintain and regularly update a personal website.
7. Spread the word about ASCL
You have worked really hard to get certified from Asian School of Cyber Laws. Your credibility will grow enormously when you assert yourself as part of an organization that is a global pioneer in the field of cyber law and cyber crime investigation. Ensure that the certification you receive from ASCL receives the appreciation it deserves.
Keep coming back to this post - we are going to regularly update it. Send in your comments and feedback to email@example.com