1 min read
Follow these 12 quick tips for securing your computer
- Keep your operating system, browsers, and all installed software up-to-date (especially software from Microsoft, Adobe, Oracle and Java).
- Do NOT use pirated software. Besides being a crime, it makes your computer vulnerable to cyber-attacks. This is because you will be unable to get regular security updates. Such updates are critical for protecting your system from cyber attacks.
- Use a good anti-virus and personal firewall solution.
- Regularly backup your data on an external hard disk or pen drive. Additionally, consider backing up on a cloud service.
- Consider using full disk encryption or encrypted pen-drives for securing your sensitive data.
- Be careful before connecting USB devices to your computer. They may contain malware.
- Be careful before downloading email attachments. They may contain malware.
- Use a strong password. Your passwords should be complex and difficult to guess. Ideally, they should be at least 10 characters long and should have capital letters, small letters, numbers, and special characters e.g.: $amaiRah-446
- When connecting to WiFi, ensure you are connecting to the correct network.
- Avoid clicking pop-up ads.
- NEVER click unexpected pop-up windows that offer to remove spyware or viruses from your computer.
- Before you install any software, app, extension, etc on your computer, ask yourself 2 questions – “Do I need this?” and “Can I trust this”?