1 min read
Follow these 11 tips for safe social media usage:
- Remember that everything you post on a social networking site may be permanent and available to the world FOREVER – photos, text, videos, etc.
- Your personal information may be misused by hackers, stalkers, and criminals. Think before you post or share anything.
- Choose your social networks carefully e.g. LinkedIn for professional use, Facebook, or Instagram for personal use.
- While creating an account, the site may ask for answers to hint questions. NEVER give answers that others know or can guess.
- Be cautious when you click links in messages from your online ‘friends’ or connections.
- Think before accepting friend or connection requests from people who you don’t know in real life.
- Think and research before installing third-party applications.
- Explore and use the privacy and security settings on your social networks.
- Photos clicked using a smartphone may have geo-location embedded. Remove this data before posting/sharing the photo.
- If someone is harassing, bullying, or threatening you, remove them from your “friends” list, block them, and report them to the site administrator and the police.
- Your passwords should be complex and difficult to guess. Ideally, it should be at least 10 characters long and should have capital letters, small letters, numbers and special characters e.g: $amaiRah-446